Wednesday, July 6, 2016

ThatDude Gets Sentimental: On Relationships and Breakups Part 2

It disheartens me to say that today, I was broken up with for the second time in my career, and rather than wait time to allow the wound to heal, I'm writing this with a fresh cut. I'm hurt, I'm distraught, I want to burn everything that we've shared in these past experiences and start fresh. I want their new relationship to strain more than ours did and for them to look back upon our relationship as the "Good Life." I knew we were having troubles, but I honestly did not think it will come to this. I thought they were just bluffing and in the end come running back into my arms. This cut is much deeper than the last and it may take years for me to fully recover, but hey, as you guys know, I did it once, and I'll do it again. It was a 13-year relationship and as I turn on the television, my eyes are awaken to the sight of "Dwyane Wade signing 2-year $47 million deal with Bulls." Dwyane Wade has left me as only a part of his past. Damn, he couldn't even tell me to my face that they were done with me. He might as well have broken up with me through text. Damn.

When I first heard the news, I was heart-broken. That feeling of heart-brokeness then transitioned to feelings of anger. Why would he be leaving me? After all, we've been through? Heart-breaking losses but 3, THREE beautiful children we call Larry O'Brien. How am I going to explain this to them? "Wade loves you, but he doesn't find us sexy anymore, he left our ass for that white girl." They're going to be devastated. After that, anger transitioned to a feeling of sorrow. "What are we going to do without him? How capable are we without him?" That question led me to my feelings of arrogance. "We're more than capable without him, we'll show him, we don't need him, HE needs us." In the words of a wise (and misunderstood) Kanye West in '808's and Heartbreak' (which I am shamelessly listening to at this moment "You'll never find nobody[sic] than me." Until finally, acceptance. I can't sit here and say I completely understand his decision to leave us for the Chicago Bulls, but I respect his decision and will cheer on his new relationship (behind my current one with the Miami Heat of course.) Within a course of 20 minutes, I underwent a full range of emotions and yet the cut still stings. I'll put a bandaid over it for now and keep a smile on my face, but deep down, I'll still be hurting. I'll continue to hurt until somebody new comes my way. It may take 2 months, or it may take a year or more, but somebody new will come and win back my trust. Until then, I'll just have to enjoy my flings with new players coming to the Heat who'll stay for a year or two, but can't just fill those size 15 shoes left behind by Wade. 
Wade with his Three Children...Larry O'Brien, Larry O'Brien Jr, and Larry O'Brien III

I can never truly thank Wade for those majestic 13 years that I was privileged to have with him. I can honestly say I saw the impossible on more than one occasion. When I got my first laptop, the first video I watched was Dwyane Wade Highlight Reel, the same highlight reel I've seen at least 25 times. The first and only jersey I've ever bought was of Wade. I had a pair of Wade's converses and was looking to buy a Li-Ning shoe (still am, they're dope). As a kid, I shaped my style of play (the best that my athletic ability would let me, which unfortunately is not much) to shadow Wade. I fought passionately against the waves of hate stirred from my two best friends who are adamant Kobe and LeBron fans. I still remember when Wade was on Nickelodeon talking to kids about B.E.E.F. Balance. Elbows. Elevation. Follow Through. I watched the day when Dwyane Wade officially claimed the  AAA arena as "my house." I'll always look back fondly on those great 13 years. Wade may be leaving Miami-Dade, but it will always be Miami-Wade County.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go to bed in my Dwyane Wade jersey for the night. Also, for the 0.0001% chance that Wade is reading this, I'm looking forward to seeing the Heat beat you and the Bulls come gameday. Let's not forget, it was against them that you claimed the AAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment